Monday, January 2, 2012

Curry Carrot Soup

To start off the new year (and because I was bored at home), I chose to try something new tonight for dinner.  I saw several bags of carrots in the fridge from the last sale at the store that were begging to be used and began thinking of a carrot soup.  Originally I was going toward a pea soup kind of idea, but wanted something healthy and still flavorful.  I found several recipes on the internet regarding carrot curry soups and carrot and ginger soups, but nothing really struck my fancy exactly.  So, I mixed up a batch using the concepts I found online and ended up with an amazingly delicious (and healthy) soup!  Well, I didn't end up using it in a soup-like way, I put the thick puree on top of quinoa (a very healthy grain that is full of protien) and as I eat, I decided it must go into the "keep" pile of recipes.  So, here it is, for those of you interested.

Curry Carrot Soup
2 servings
 2 cups carrot diced
 1 can chicken stock or canned broth, low sodium
 1 onion, chopped
 1 tbsp garlic, minced
 1 tbsp olive oil
 1 tbsp butter
 1/2 tsp curry powder
 1/4 tsp tumeric
 1 tsp brown sugar
 1/4 tsp pepper
 1 tsp salt, to taste
 1/8 tsp ginger, powdered

1. Saute onion in olive oil until soft and carmelized.
2. Add garlic and curry and saute for one to two minutes, being careful not to burn.
3. Add carrots and remaining seasonings (not stock) and saute until carrots are beginning to soften (about 5 minutes).
4. Add stock and cook until carrots are soft.
5. Puree carefuly and return to pan.  Taste for salt, carrot flavor should not be flat. Add water to thin if desired.
6. Melt in butter and serve.  Can add yogurt, sour cream, cream, or milk if you like.  I enjoyed  mine left thick over a bed of quinoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment